Idea Lemon is on an epic road trip August 8 - September 20, taking our Discover Your Inner Awesome podcast around the country in partnership with our friends at the kickass travel community Under30Experiences. If you daydream of going to places like Bali, Costa Rica, Belize, Peru, Iceland and more, you HAVE to hit up U30X. Their trips have changed our lives. We're all about helping you do more of what you love, so use Promo Code "idealemon" for $100 off your booking.
Here are our final notes from Portland!
Cypress Hill put it best in "Rock/Rap Superstar" when they said, "It's a fun job, but it's still a job."
We spend a lot of time pursuing our passions, but sometimes you can burn out on your passion. So how do you reclaim the fire? We sat down with champion downhill longboarder Marisa Nunez at her home in Portland and explored how to stick with your passion. Marisa was ranked #2 female in the world in 2012, and you won't be able to tell from her sweet demeanor, but she's a total badass. Even with a job like longboarding, sometimes it can wear you out. So how do you stay passionate about your passions? Listen below
In this episode you'll learn:
- Overcoming being the only female in a male-dominated environment
- Pursuing something even if you’re not ‘born with it’
- Having an addiction mindset for the things you love
- How the story you tell yourself influences your behavior
- Planting seeds to grow your passion
- What to do when your passion feels like work
- How Tony Hawk expanded from a skateboarder to a building a skateboard empire
- Keeping things interesting by living in the moment
- Why thinking you have to go pro in your passion is the wrong approach
- Why Charles Barkley is much happier retired than Michael Jordan
- Deciphering between what keeps you busy and what keeps you happy
- The sweeping misperception of a “real job”
- The moment when you’re winning at life
- Being okay with unexpected outcomes
- Treating your passion more like a job to take it seriously
- Choosing themes instead of goals
- Taking a reverse approach to finding exactly what you want to do
- Intentionally putting yourself in environments that force your passion out
- Developing ‘tunnel vision’ when you’re in a flow state
- Channeling nervous energy into empowering energy
- Owning that more people are on your side than you think
Our sit down with Marisa came completely by accident. We were in a pinch for a place to stay, and ended up crashing with a friend of a friend. Marisa happened to be roommates with that person. Martin even bought a longboard from her. Ahh the serendipity.
Final notes from Portland
- ead to Multnomah Falls just 20 minutes outside the city for some amazing views and hiking
- Voodoo Doughnuts. Do it.
- Be fancy and have a tableside cocktail made for you at Whiskey Library
- Eat delicious tacos at Porque No
- Grab lunch at a food truck
- We had an amazing night out at White Owl. If you want to dance, and dance to non-clubby music on an outdoor patio, go to White Owl on a Saturday night. (That's the dance party I talked about here)
We were in San Fran this week and hit LA yesterday. We're here for the next week and already and have some awesome podcast guests lined up.
In the meantime, If you're in LA this weekend, come out to our Under30Experiences meetup tomorrow (Saturday) in Santa Monica!
Take care and be awesome today,
What up! My name is Rajiv Nathan and I'm the Cofounder of Idea Lemon. That banana peel you slipped on to land here came from me. That's because I fancy myself a human Curious George, and the yellow hat I chase is life's authentic moments. I share my chase one story at a time through this blog, our email newsletter, and as a rapper. Follow along here to learn how to build a fulfilling lifestyle that gets you noticed for what you love.