Idea Lemon is on an epic road trip August 8 - September 20, taking our Discover Your Inner Awesome podcast around the country in partnership with our friends at the kickass travel community Under30Experiences. If you daydream of going to places like Bali, Costa Rica, Belize, Peru, Iceland and more, you HAVE to hit up U30X. Their trips have changed our lives. We're all about helping you do more of what you love, so use Promo Code "idealemon" for $100 off your booking.
Here are our notes from Vegas, baby!
While in Las Vegas last week, we hit up Coyote Ugly at the New York New York hotel. If you’re not familiar with Coyote Ugly, there was an entire movie about it, and Britney Spears stopped there during her journey in the movie Crossroads, for your education. For a quick synopsis, it’s a bar where hot female bartenders dance on the bar countertops and work the crowd to get everyone dancing.
We’re at Coyote Ugly busting a move when I spot a lady sipping her drink and not dancing. Without hesitation I grab her by the hand, pull her to the dance floor and get her to start dancing. After like a minute, she slips away and a few seconds later I see she’s with her boyfriend.
I was rejected.
Still, I’d rather come out of that knowing I tried and got rejected than never try at all.
The thing about rejection is it too often prevents us from ever even trying. It’s fear’s best friend.
In our newest podcast episode we talked with Jordan Harbinger, founder and CEO of The Art of Charm, a social skills platform for men, about how to handle rejection. Jordan’s a master at this topic.
We were supposed to meet up with Jordan while in San Francisco, but ended up having to reschedule over Skype instead. If you listen closely during the episode you’ll find out why that happened.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- The myth of relishing “no”
- How the abundance mindset carries over to rejection
- How to embrace the idea that rejection will happen to help overcome the sting of it
- The downside of rejection therapy
- Martin’s story of getting shut down on the dance floor in Spain
- Stacking the deck in your favor by taking more chances
- Treating fear like a muscle
- What predefined rules have to do with figuring out how to take action
- How some successful people struggle with having to reject others
- Why control and success are closely related
- Why we fight to gain acceptance
- How our ego rationalizes unexpected outcomes
- How we unknowingly place our own consequences on our decisions
- Being focused versus drinking from the firehouse to reduce your number of rejections
- Finding small testing grounds to validate your ideas
- What happens when having a one-track mind doesn’t end how you’ve expected
- The crucial mistakes many early entrepreneurs make
- The ‘safe zones’ we create for ourselves to protect our vision, and the problem with doing so
- The people who post Facebook statuses all day probably aren’t taking any action
- Moving past the “research” phase into the “action” phase
- Understanding the little pictures that make up the big picture
- How to catch yourself from intentionally avoiding the hard work
We're enjoying Austin this week! We had a slight hiccup with our car which means we unfortunately have to cut New Orleans from our itinerary, but at the same time it means we get to explore Austin a couple more days. I've already eaten an orange barbeque brisket burrito so staying here is a-okay with me.
Take care and be awesome today,
What up! My name is Rajiv Nathan and I'm the Cofounder of Idea Lemon. That banana peel you slipped on to land here came from me. That's because I fancy myself a human Curious George, and the yellow hat I chase is life's authentic moments. I share my chase one story at a time through this blog, our email newsletter, and as a rapper. Follow along here to learn how to build a fulfilling lifestyle that gets you noticed for what you love.